Pagini

Friday 20 January 2017

Weight Problem Detected

About 2 weeks ago I found the courage to step on the scale. Literally, I was in shock. I have gained weight before, but what the scale showed I never thought I could become. I looked on the Internet and calculated by BMI score. As I thought, it showed that I'm obese, not overweight, but OBESE!
I decided that I need to take action, but knowing myself, I knew that the best thing to do is to ask for help as I tend to back down when I realise that it's harder than it looks.

I went to GP surgery and explained my worries, saying that I gained more than 20 kg since I came in the UK, and that I can confess that I don't feel well in my skin. I get breathless after taking the stairs, I have difficulties putting my socks on, I feel tired most of the time and I have tons and tons of clothes that don't fit me no more.

The nurse was more than happy to introduce me to a Shape Up Programme of 10 weeks and to refer me to a Health Trainer within the surgery.

Easy, isn't it? I started last week to see Joe, the Health Trainer, that promised to support me for the next 10 weeks, taking my weight and my diary of diet intake from previous week, giving me advice and motivation to carry on with my goal. He can also help me to set specific goals that I want to reach, to change my lifestyle to a healthier one, instead of following strict diets and starving myself. I haven't felt better in a long time and I think I deserve to do this for myself!

Yesterday I went to my first Shape Up meeting, that offered a free gym pass of 12 weeks to great leisure places where I  can attend classes of yoga, zumba, postural, spinning, swimming and other ones that I  have no idea what they are. We (me and the other people that attended this programme) will receive next week a book to guide us in our journey, and each week we will discuss about the ups and downs of our experience. We can share ideas, recipes, exercises, and we will support one another to reach the goals.

It sounds more than great, but it is hard! I only think of food, laying in my bed and sleeping. After 12 hour shifts, it is so hard to find motivation of exercising or to eat slowly... on my days off I prefer a taxi, instead of walking, and so on...

Am I really gonna do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment